Monday, November 30, 2009

Reaction to "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been"

I thought it was interesting how the only person to mention Connie’s friends’ names is the creepy man stalking Connie. It adds to Connie’s overall narcissism, as if her friends are not important enough to receive names, even though they spend all of their free time together. Connie’s life centers around herself and everyone else in her life are merely supporting characters. I hated Connie at first; she is vain, obnoxious, and rude to everyone around her. Yet as the story continues, I feel like she did not deserve to be treated the way that she was by the two unsettling men. While she should have exercised more caution and gotten away before things progressed as far as they did, she found herself in a position with no real escape route. The men were clearly stalking Connie, as well as the rest of her family, and had grossly overstepped boundaries. Connie did bring it upon herself by going over to the restaurant, but I felt that her bad decisions were not enough to warrant her getting kidnapped and probably raped by some creepy men. She did not talk to them at the restaurant and did not seem to lead them on in any way. Connie used to live in a fantasy world where she could hang out with boys and escape the eyes of her parents and perfect sister, and while her behavior is immature and dangerous, the area that she describes her friends going to seemed safe enough and I was surprised that the men turned out to be as disconcerting as they were. As much as I dislike Connie, I am not entirely sure that she deserves the troubling end that awaits her.

I loved the way Oates used Arnold Friend to flesh out the observations that the narrator gives us. Connie never mentions her friend’s names and keeps all of her observations vague, but Friend explains all of Connie’s friend’s first and last names, plus several other disturbing images. He knows the color of June’s dress, while Connie only notes that her sister is dressed up, and the most disturbing details about Connie’s family. Arnold gives the reader a clearer image of the setting and characters in the story, while developing his own character as frightening and exceptionally disturbing. Connie only offers information about herself, from her hair to her shoes and charms bracelets, but Friend cleans up the vague information Connie gives, while once again establishing how narcissistic Connie is and how creepy he and Eddie are.

5 comments:

  1. I agree; as unlikeable as Connie is, no one deserves to be stalked and (possibly) raped. I never quite got over my distaste for her, but I was empathetic to her situation.
    It's interesting that you mention Connie's vague observations of her friends; I did not notice that as we were reading or doing our discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the description Arnold Friend provided made the story more disturbing and made Friend much more creepy as well. He almost seems to be omniscient in his knowledge about Connie, her friends, and her family. While I did not like Connie because of her vanity and the way she treats others, I did not think she deserved what she got in the end. The ending, however, was a powerful way to portray losing one's innocence in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    I enjoyed reading your blog, and I also agree with your views on Connie. She is a very conceited person, but she does not deserve to fall victim to Arnold Friend's deception. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned that Arnold Friend was the only character to mention Connie's friends' names, and I agree that it emphasizes her vanity and self-centerdness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your blog! I thought that it was interesting how the author only allowed the creepy men to mention her name, it added to the her narcissism. While I never came to like her the entire story I agree with the fact that no one should have to suffer what she probably did in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely agree. At the beginning of the story, I could not stand Connie. I thought she was much too self-centered and immature and she was just asking for something to happen. As unlikeable as a person may be, nobody deserves the fate she was given. As for the other characters of the story, I didn't much like them either. Every character in the story had negative traits and are bad role models for such an impressionable girl, it's no wonder she turned out the way she did.

    ReplyDelete